Why do I need a Carbon Monoxide Alarm? 2017-04-22T20:10:37+00:00

Why do I need a Carbon Monoxide Alarm?

From 1st October 2015 it is now the law that you must install a Smoke Alarm on every floor of your property to rent and if there is a solid fuel gas appliance you must install a Carbon Monoxide Alarm in the same room.

The Landlord must ensure that these alarms are in good working order at the start of each new tenancy.

Visit the following link for more information on this legal requirement: CLICK HERE

Carbon Monoxide gas is an extremely dangerous gas which is produced by incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels, including gas, oil, wood and coal.  It is only when the fuel does not burn properly that excess carbon monoxide is produced, which is poisonous.  When carbon monoxide enters the body, it prevents the blood from bringing oxygen to cells, tissues and organs.

It is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas which can cause the following signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and at worst, can kill quickly without warning:

  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Breathlessness
  • Nausea
  • Collapse; and
  • Loss of consciousness.

There are signs that you can look out for that may indicate incomplete combustion is occurring and may result in the production of carbon monoxide:

  • Yellow or orange flames rather than crisp blue flames (except fuel effect or flueless appliances which display this colour flame);
  • Soot or yellow/brown staining around or on appliances;
  • Pilot lights that frequently blow out;
  • Increased condensation inside windows.

Carbon monoxide kills if left undetected.

It is highly recommended by Gas Safety Register that you fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm in your home or property.

Smoke alarms do not detect carbon monoxide.