Gas Safety Certificates 2017-04-18T13:16:57+00:00

Gas Safety Certificate

We carry out and provide Gas Safety Certificates for Landlords, home owners and estate agents all over London and its surrounding areas.

Our engineers are all Gas Safe registered and provide an excellent, efficient and professional service.

Book now for a Gas Safety Certificate:

Price List (Domestic properties)

Gas Safety Certificate (Gas Meter Only) £30 including VAT
Gas Safety Certificate (1 Appliance) £40 including VAT
Gas Safety Certificate (2 Appliances) £48 including VAT
Gas Safety Certificate (3 Appliances) £58 including VAT
Additional Gas Appliance £10 including VAT

Gas Appliances are: Boilers, hobs, ovens and fire places.

Gas Services

24 hour Gas Leak Repairs £78 per hour including VAT
Gas Hob Installation & Gas Certificate £79 including VAT
Inspection Hatches (supply & fit) £90 including VAT
Disconnect Gas Hob or Fire Place £48 including VAT
Boiler Service from only £60 including VAT

Why do you need a Gas Safety Inspection/Certificate?

Legally you only have to carry out a gas safety inspection every 12 months, but it’s a good idea to get appliances checked between tenants too.  Then you can ensure that your appliances are in a good condition before your tenants move in.  You are responsible for the safety of your tenants whilst in your property.

What Landlords must ensure:

  • All pipe-work, appliances and flues at the property are maintained and in a safe condition;
  • All appliances and flues at the property have an annual safety check;
  • All safety checks and maintenance are carried out by a Gas Safe Registered engineer;
  • Any gas equipment (including any appliances left by previous tenants) is either checked and safe or removed from the property before re-letting;
  • A gas safety record is provided to the tenant within 28 days of completing the check or to any new tenant before they move in;
  • They keep a copy of the gas safety record for a period of two years.

From 1st October 2015 it became law that every rental property must have a smoke alarm fitted on every floor.

It is also highly recommended to install a Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarm, as this will ensure that your tenants are safe from dangers of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.  However, an alarm should not replace regular maintenance and safety checks.

Although it is a legal requirement to have a CO alarm installed in the same room as a new or replacement fixed solid fuel appliance, this does not include gas appliances.  It is still recommended when gas appliances are present to help ensure safety.  The alarm may be hard wired or battery powered to comply.

A Gas Safety Certificate can only be issued by a Gas Safe Registered engineer.  Certificates are valid for a year from the date of issue.  If you would like to find or check an engineer, visit or call them on 0800 408 5500.

What you will get with a Gas Safety Certificate:

  • Your gas appliances will be checked for gas tightness;
  • If test points are available, standing and working pressure will be tested;
  • The Gas Safe engineer will check burner pressure and gas rate against the manufacturers data plate;
  • Checks will be carried out for the provision of all necessary ventilation;
  • Flue flow will be tested to make sure products of combustion are removed;
  • All flame failure devices will be checked for satisfactory operation;
  • Where appropriate checks will be made for physical stability, presence and effectiveness of stability brackets;
  • Investigations for any evidence of unsafe operation will be made and reported.

Without completing all of the above checks an appliance cannot be issued a Gas Safety Certificate.

What Tenants need to know:

Poorly fitted and serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.  Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas and is extremely dangerous as you can’t see it, smell it or taste it, but it can kill quickly and without warning.

In order to take care of your family, you must ensure the gas appliances in your home are taken care of properly.  Follow these simple checks to keep your family safe:

  • Check your Landlord’s Gas Safety Record – By law Landlords must ensure that all the gas appliances in the property you are renting from them, in a good working condition. They should arrange for a Gas Safety inspection every 12 months and provide you with a record of the inspection.
  • Check any gas appliances you own every year – Gas appliances should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
  • Check your engineer is Gas Safe registered – you can check this by visiting the Gas Safe website or by calling them on 0800 408 5500.
  • Check the engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card – you must ensure that they are fully qualified for the work they are carrying out. You can find this information out on the reverse of their card.
  • Check for warning signs – are your appliances working correctly? – Check for lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
  • Make sure you know the 6 signs of Carbon Monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness .
  • Check you have an audible carbon monoxide alarm fitted in the home – this will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.

What is a Boiler Service?

This is carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer and they will carry out a full check of the boiler.  The engineer will assess the physical condition of the boiler, the installation pipework, the air vents and any flues for wear and tear.  They will carry out performance tests and take any necessary remedial action.

Gas Safe highly recommends that boilers should be serviced regularly.  This will ensure they are safe to use.  It will also maintain your boiler’s efficiency and performance.  Some boiler makes such as Valiant require an annual service in order to validate the warranty.

Gas boilers need to be serviced regularly, but if you notice any of the following warning signs, you should arrange for a Gas Safe engineer to come and service as soon as possible:

  • Your appliance is not working properly;
  • Your appliance is burning with a lazy yellow flame rather than a crisp blue flame;
  • You can see stains or black marks on or around your gas appliance;
  • The pilot light keeps going out;
  • There is increased condensation in the room.

What will our engineer do during the service?

We will:

  • Clean the burners and heat exchanger (if required);
  • Check the CO2 and CO levels with a combustion analyser;
  • Clean the condensation trap;
  • Check the flue;
  • Flame picture check;
  • Check the gas burner pressure;
  • Check water pressure;
  • Check expansion vessel and pressure release valve;
  • Visually check for leaks;
  • Visually check the appliance seals and casing; and
  • Correct operation and safety devices.

Once the service has been carried out our engineer will make a note of any remedial work, diagnostics and repair/parts that need to be carried out in order to repair any faults found.  This additional work is not included within the Boiler Service and must be carried out at your cost.  Should you require us to carry out this work at a time and date convenient to both yourselves and the engineer, then we will be happy to provide a discount.

Questions and Answers

Why have you called the National Grid to change my meter?

The National Grid offer a free service and we would call them if:

  • either the gas meter is faulty or the emergency control valve is not working properly (this is used to turn the gas off and is immediately dangerous if you cannot turn the gas off in an emergency)
  • your gas reading is giving a high or low reading of working pressure
  • after we have advised that the gas should be turned off, you do not give your permission for us to do so, then we will contact the National Grid.

What if an appliance fails the safety check?

The safety check record will contain details of any defect identified and remedial action taken. You must ensure that any safety defect is rectified (by a Gas Safe registered engineer) before the equipment is used again. It is recommended that you keep copies of work done to rectify defects identified by the safety check.

It is an offence to use, or allow the use of, a gas appliance you know to be unsafe. In no circumstances should you reconnect an appliance that you have been told is unsafe, which has either been isolated or disconnected for safety reasons, until the fault has been rectified.

What are my main duties as a landlord?

You are required to:

  • ensure gas fittings and flues are maintained in a safe condition. Gas appliances should be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. If these are not available it is recommended that they are serviced annually unless advised otherwise by a Gas Safe registered engineer;
  • ensure an annual safety check is carried out on each gas appliance/flue. Before any new lease starts, you must make sure that these checks have been carried out within one year before the start of the lease date, unless the appliances in the property have been installed for less than 12 months, in which case they should be checked within 12 months of their installation date;
  • have all installation, maintenance and safety checks carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer;
  • keep a record of each safety check for at least two years;
  • issue a copy of the latest safety check record to existing tenants within 28 days of the check being completed, or to any new tenant before they move in (in certain cases there is an option to display the record).

The Regulations specify the gas safety matters to be covered. You should not assume that an annual service inspection meets the safety check requirement, or that a safety check will, on its own, be sufficient to provide effective maintenance. Ask the advice of a Gas Safe registered engineer where necessary.

Do I have to use a Gas Safe engineer?

In relation to domestic gas under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 Landlords are required to use Gas Safe registered engineers to carry out gas work/maintenance and safety inspections at their properties.

Do I need to supply and install a Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Alarm in my properties?

From 1st October 2015 it is now the law that you must install a Smoke Alarm on every floor of your property to rent and if there is a solid fuel gas appliance you must install a Carbon Monoxide Alarm in the same room.

How long will it take to receive my Gas Certificate once the inspection has been carried out?

Depending on when you have paid for your certificate then you could have it within 24 hours.

Can I keep the Gas Safety Certificate or Record electronically?

Yes so long as it is:

  • able to be reproduced as a hard copy when required by either the tenant, HSE or housing department
  • secure from loss and interference
  • able to identify the Gas Safe engineer who carried out the certificate, electronic signature, a scanned signature, a payroll number unique to the engineer, the name of the engineer etc.

A copy can be sent directly to the tenant, with the Landlord’s permission, provided the tenant is able to access it and is happy with this arrangement.

Will my Gas Safety Certificate fail if my flue hatch is not visible and I do not have inspection hatches?

Yes it will fail and will be classed as ‘At Risk’

From 1st January 2013 all Gas Safe engineers will fail a certificate if they cannot gain access to the boiler flue.  The problem is that many flats and apartments have been built with boiler flues which cannot be accessed because they are behind walls or ceilings.  If this is indeed the case, then the engineer will turn the boiler off until an inspection hatch has been fitted in the appropriate places.

My Gas Certificates have never failed previously, why has it failed now?

This maybe because legislation has changed since your previous certificate or the Gas engineer who did the previous inspection did not comply with the regulations as they should have.  If you wish to query this further, please contact Gas Safe on 0800 408 5500.

What does it mean my flue is not sealed?

This means that the gap surrounding the flue inside the external wall is not sealed with sand and cement (internally and externally).  Sometimes a rubber seal can be used externally, but it has to state this in the boiler manual instructions that this is an approved method.  Sealing the flue prevents emissions going back into the building and helps support the flue.

What happens if I don’t maintain my tenants’ gas appliances?

Failure to do so may result in loss of life. Not only that, you risk being prosecuted, and this could result in you facing imprisonment or a fine of up to £20,000, or both, for each offence.  If the case is then referred to the Crown Court the maximum penalty may be imprisonment, or an unlimited fine, or both.

What should I do if the tenants heating and hot water is turned off by the Gas engineer?

No matter how inconvenient this may be, if an appliance has been switched off by the Gas Safe engineer then this is for a very good reason and should not be turned back on again, until you are advised it is safe to do so by the engineer.  This is for the tenants own safety.

You will be required to provide your tenant with emergency heating, for more information on this you can contact your local Council whilst arranging the appropriate remedial work by a Gas Safe engineer.

What action do I take in the event of a gas escape?

If you smell gas, or suspect there is a gas escape, or a carbon monoxide leak, you should immediately do the following:

  • Open all doors and windows.
  • Shut off the gas supply at the meter control valve (if you know where it is). If gas continues to escape call National Grid on the Gas Emergency Freephone Number 0800 111 999.
  • Make sure that any investigations or repairs are carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

If you provide liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) for use by a tenant in premises other than a building, eg a caravan or holiday home park, you must discuss emergency arrangements with your LPG supplier and agree what action to take in case of a gas escape or emission of carbon monoxide from any LPG appliance.

Why are flues and ventilation important?

All gas appliances need the following in order to operate safely:

  • An adequate supply of air to help the complete combustion of gas;
  • Efficient operation of their flue to remove any combustion products, including carbon monoxide (CO) that are produced.

Without these safety precautions dangerous levels of carbon monoxide can build up with the possibility of fatal consequences.  There are some easy ways to help avoid the build up of carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Never block ventilation;
  • Ensure that flues are kept clear at all times;
  • Have your appliance regularly maintained and annually serviced by a Gas Safe registered engineer. 

Further information

For more advice, landlords can go to the Gas Safe Register website at  or call 0800 408 5500.

For information about health and safety, or to report inconsistencies or inaccuracies in this guidance, visit

What tenants should know:

Badly fitted or poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.  Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas, you can’t see it, smell it or taste it but it can kill quickly without any warning.

Follow these simple steps to keep you and your family safe:

  • Check your Landlord’s Gas Safety Record – by law, your landlord must keep gas appliances supplied for your use in a good condition. They should arrange for these appliances to be checked every 12 months and give you a record of the checks.
  • Check any gas appliances you own every year. Gas appliances should be checked yearly and by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
  • Check your engineer is Gas Safe registered. You can do this either online at or call 0800 408 5500.
  • Check the engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card to ensure they are qualified for the work that needs to be carried out. You can find this information on the back of their card.
  • Check the warning signs that your appliances are not working correctly: Lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue flame. Check for any black marks on or around the appliance and for too much condensation in the room.
  • Check you know the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning:
    • Headaches
    • Dizziness
    • Breathlessness
    • Nausea
    • Collapse; and
    • Loss of consciousness.
  • Check you have an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.

Do I need to have all my gas appliances tested?

Yes – by law all gas appliances, owned by the Landlord in a property have to be test and inspected by a Gas Safe registered engineer.